This is the official version of the license for all the fonts
(except where noted). It supersedes any other licenses circulating.
I am employing a very generous license with these fonts (the way I think
most software should be) for a number of reasons. Mainly though, it is
because I would be making fonts regardless of whether I was distributing
them or not, and because I know that people benefit from the fact that I
give them away. I take enough stuff for free and it makes me feel good to
know that I am 'giving back'.
Here is the license. You are free to download and use these fonts
without my explicit permission for anything you want, except for the
- You may NOT* resell the actual font files (without my written
permission and without having to give me something in return). This
includes but is not limited to selling it on a Font CD (even when the
fee involved is a nominal "distribution" or "handling" fee, or some
similar thing), or distributing it on a site which charges a fee per
font download. (In contrast, a pay-per-hour service such as America Online
is free to distribute the fonts.)
- You may not misrepresent the creator of the font (pretend you made them)
- You may not adapt them to different fonts without my permission.
- You may not modify the font files for subsequent redistribution.
However, you have permission to do the following:
- Use them to make graphics for your home page, non-profit web page,
or commerical web site.
- Give them to your friends for free.
- Make them available (for free) on your web page, as long as you don't
pretend you made them. It'd be nice of you to include this README file, too.
- Use them in design work that you get paid for.
- Use them in any smalltime publications or fliers or other non
- Make commercial products like T-shirts or Mugs or Books using the
fonts and sell them. In this case, since you are indirectly profiting
off of my work, I ask that you send me one of the T-shirts or Mugs or
Books free, where reasonable. Obviously some discretion on your
part is due; but try to be fair. If it is inappropriate for you to
send me one of your product, at least make an attempt to write me an
e-mail at tom7 (a) (same as the username).org and
let me know where the font is being used.
Exception to the above: The fonts (or converted versions of them)
may be included on any recognized distribution of the Linux and
(Open/Net/Free)BSD operating systems, even if the CD is sold. Please
include the readme.
* "Not", as in, "Not without my permission". I regularly give permission for
this sort of thing, so if you want to redistribute the fonts for a fee, let
me know and we can probably work something out. Generally I simply request a
copy of the CD or magazine or whatever.
For my mailing address, please first use the e-mailing address, .
Back to Divide By Zero!